"SANUS PER AQUAM" – "HEALTH THROUGH WATER"
The historical development of Jošanička Banja as a settlement has always been closely related to thermal springs. It is assumed that the healing waters of Jošanicka Banja were first introduced to the Romans, and that their beneficial effect was also used by the Turks, as evidenced by the hamam (a Turkish bath from the 18th century). The first professional research of the healing properties of the water of Jošanička Banja was known only since 1834. Water was examined at the Vienna Medical University, at the request of Prince Miloš, and on that occasion, the water of Jošanička Banja was equated with the waters of Ribarska and Brestovačka Banja. In the following year, 1835, the water was examined by Baron Herder, the royal-Saxon manager of the mine, and continued also in 1846. In those years the members of the family of Prince Miloš were treated in Jošanička Banja. In his numerous passes to Kopaonik, Josif Pančić visited Jošanička Banja. He said that “this spa is the warmest in Europe and there is no other like it except the one in Bursa and Asia Minor, and it’s medical features can be compared with water in Gostron, except this one is much warmer”.
In 1935, for the use of thermal water in Jošanička Banja, a bathroom with 10 baths and a small swimming pool were built. After World War II, Jošanička Banja got all the conditions for the development and use of healing water for the purpose of health tourism. According to the words of the elderly people and people who worked in Banja in the 1960s, Jošanička Banja had the status of a spa health resort with accompanying services, a medical station (laboratory), a medical vehicle, a hotel Jošanica, a villa Pršić, a camp with 50 beds and own bus with 40 seats. At that time, the spa also had a library.
- The name Mala Banja was mentioned in 1519. It is believed that it had the spa function since 18th century, when the first bath was built, which was later annexed several times.
- For the needs of the school in 1867, a building was constructed, which was transferred from Jelakce and in Orthodox Church in 1868
- The first bakery in Jošanička Banja was opened in 1928.
- Jošanička Banja got electricity in 1948, and the urban part of the settlement got drinking water in 1958.
- The health clinic was opened in 1960.
- The building of the present school was built in 1964.
- Telephone connection (line) Banja got in 1982.
- The Church of the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos was reconstructed in 1995 when the church house was built.
- Artist Cultural Group “Jošanička Banja” was created in 2001.
- The Cultural Center was built in 2013 which is located in a cultural room of children’s kindergarten.
- The library, also located in the Cultural Center, has been reconstructed.
Churches and church property
Cultural and historical sights
Sport and recreation
Lodging and hostels
Apartments and rooms